
After ribs, we went for some coffee. THEN, we went to the STAX museum. As usual, it was righteous. I always love looking at Tina Turner's stage outfit. She was/is tiny! It always takes me aback because of her big hair, her long legs & her larger-than-life persona. I also love looking at Isaac Hayes' car. It is flippin' gold-plated! R.I.P. Black Moses. I always get a sense of pride and a bit emotional when I go to the STAX Museum. STAX & their musicians always make me feel that we, as Southerners, have something, for better or for worse, that cannot be replicated or sold. Rufus Thomas talked about how Motown (Detroit) was great & produced greatness and was all well and good and those artists were generally accepted by everyone (READ: whites), but then you cross the Mason/Dixon line and these STAX bands & artists who had the 'thump schlump thump' (Je ne sais pas ) and they just did their own thing their own way without (Southern) America's approval. He says this with a sly smile and it makes my heart swell.
We didn't leave without hitting up the museum shop. I bought ATM a STAX coffee mug and myself a STAX pot holder.


After parting ways with his dad & stepmother, me & ATM went to our room to relax and settle in. THEN, I went and bought a new pair of jeans. This is a first for me, to have more than one pair of jeans at the same time. THEN, he went record shopping at Goner Records. THEN, we had supper & bought snacks at Whole Foods. THEN, we stopped by a liquor store so I could buy ATM some scotch. THEN, we went back to the hotel & sat on the outdoor patio to enjoy awesome weather while sipping on drinks. There's nothing notable to mention after that.
Well, I have to post hotel room photos, right?

We didn't stick around town the next day, we high-tailed it back home to Little Rock. Upon arrival, we found that we would be whisked away to Haifa, Israel by way of this:


What an awesome gift! It's not even for me, it's ATM's birthday gift from his thoughtful mum! I think I love this gift as if it were mine. Heh. This is a meal kit to make homemade falafel and homemade harissa sauce. It comes with pre-measured dried goods (chickpeas) and pre-measured spices. It also comes with cooking tools like a falafel shaper & a tiny serving spoon for the harissa, amongst other things. We will have to provide the fresh ingredients, like parsley & lemon. The kit is offered by Destination Dinners. I really hope this kit works out, my first homemade falafel recipe turned out disasterous! Naturally, I will keep you posted.
On Tuesday evening, we gathered at Collin's to belatedly celebrate ATM's birthday -- I made a key lime pie & I made empanadas for the first time. They were good, but I feel they can be better. I'm liking this cooking things I've never eaten before. Anyway, empanadas. I used Bittman's recipe in How To Cook Everything Vegetarian. I may have to try it with curried potatoes & veggies which might technically make it a samosa?
So, have you been keeping up with the Jon Stewart v. Jim Cramer/CNBC saga? It's legendary. I love Jon Stewart. He's the kind of person that I say aloud, "I like him. I wonder if I can send him money." Maybe I should start doing tha to people I like. Hey _________________, I like you. You're makin' sense. Here's $5. Buy yourself a treat. Truly, AiLien.
I've not heard an update RE: the Victory Street space, but I've heard Eclipse Glasses speak about it as if it'll eventually happen. And speaking of Eclipse Glasses, they will be playing a show this Friday @ the Dreamland Ballroom. $5! At that regular show time.
9 comments:
I am inviting myself over for falafel. And I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen dried chick peas. The dried bean variety is lame at Kroger and I don't think I've taken a look at any finer foods store.
I know we discussed it already but Jim Cramer will be on TDS tonight! I can't wait to watch the video tomorrow.
I've been loving the CNBC/Daily Show saga. I love it every time TDS shows how all those talking heads are full of nothing but blather and nonsense.
I felt the same way when I tried Rendevous ribs the first time...but loved the atmosphere too.
The first time I made falafel it turned out pretty yummy. Oh yeah..here: http://alannahmassey.blogspot.com/2008/01/where-ive-been.html
I found the recipe online somewhere.
Anything going on in LR March 28? It think we're coming down. Dave is playing somewhere with this guy he plays with often. It's also the weekend before my birthday.
We ate at Whole Hog the second we hit the ground in LR. One thing worth noting: NYC's attempts at BBQ always give me terrible gas (but I eat it anyway), not so for Whole Hog.
What other region of BBQ would you say that Arkansas BBQ is most similar to? KC? Texas? I have a hard time explaining it in a couple sentences to yankees.
Happy late Bday to Mr. ATM!
And I am totally on the Stax online store right now. Amazing...
Dang potholders and mugs aren't available online. BOOOOOOO!!!
Destination Dinners?! Never heard of it 'til now. Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Happy birthday to Sir ATM. Memphis is a great place to boogie on down. We're going there for Jim's birthday next month... can't wait.
A key to good falafel is to make sure you pack the balls tightly so they don't break apart when you fry them. Hope you enjoy your journey!
Boleroid - Call the Stax Museum gift shop 901-946-2535 and they will ship you a mug and pot holder!
I don't know how to classify LR BBQ because of the different styles within the city. I love the sweetness & the smokiness of Whole Hog, which is Texan style; other people like Sims for their mustardy/vinegary sauce which is Southerness?. I don't know. We've been burned by Memphis BBQ institutions more than once, always going back to WH.
My disastrous first attempt at making homemade falafel was because my patties were too wet. As soon as I dropped them into the hot oil, they fell apart. It reminded me of that scene in Christmas Vacation where the turkey looked perfect, but it was messed up. I totally had the sad face.
Alannah: RE: Mar. 28, We are hosting my cousin from Ft. Smith that weekend, which should not be a deterrent to hanging out. If the weather's nice, maybe we can hang out at the house?
JhnMrk: We got to Memphis often enough; maybe we can pick you up a coffee mug & pot holder next time? Let me know if you haven't ordered yet.
Nicole: I've never heard of DD until we received the gift, but what a neat idea, right? Brilliant.
My dad lives in Memphis, has since the 80s, I've been there a jillion times...and egad do I hate those Rendezvous ribs. Bleccchh. Thanks for telling the truth. I felt the same way--it's in Memphis, in an alley, way cool...and just nasty.
Post a Comment